Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) Program gives qualified households deep discounts on their energy bills. Average discount is about $500 per year. Applications are now available online.
You can also apply for a monthly discount on your electric bill through the Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA) program if your family meets program guidelines.
Guidelines for the programs are as follows:
- PG&E bill is in person’s name who is applying
- Live at the address where the discount will be received
- Cannot be claimed as a dependent on another person’s income tax return other than spouse
- Must account for all sources of qualifying household income and meet program guidelines
- Do not share an energy meter(s) with another home
- Household meets the FERA/CARE income eligibility requirements
- Following enrollment, you may be selected for income verification and must provide proof of qualifying household income in order to remain on the program
- Notify PG&E if your household no longer qualifies for the FERA/CARE discount
- Renew your eligibility every 2 years